Paradigm Shifts in Migraine Treatment: Implications for Pharmacists
This educational activity is sponsored by the Purdue University College of Pharmacy.
This activity is supported by an educational grant from Lilly. For further information concerning Lilly grant funding, visit www.lillygrantoffice.com.
Stewart J. Tepper, MD
Professor of Neurology,
Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth
Director, Dartmouth Headache Center
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon, New Hampshire
Richard G. Wenzel, PharmD, CPPS
Adjunct Professor, Pharmacy Practice
Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy
Downers Grove, Illinois
Diamond Headache Clinic Inpatient Unit
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
All faculty and staff involved in the planning, review, or presentation of continuing education activities sponsored/provided by the Purdue University College of Pharmacy are required to disclose to the audience any relevant commercial financial affiliations related to the content of the presentation or enduring material. Full disclosure of all commercial relationships must be made in writing to the audience prior to the activity. All additional planning committee members, reviewers, and Purdue staff have nothing to disclose.
The following individuals have disclosed that they and/or their spouse/partner has had a financial relationship in the past 12 months:
- Faculty: Stewart J. Tepper, MD, has received salary from Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and from the American Headache Society and royalties from Springer; he has been a consultant or on an advisory board for Acorda Therapeutics, Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Alexza Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Allergan, Alphasights, Amgen, Autonomic Technologies, Inc., Axsome Therapeutics, Cefaly, Charleston Laboratories, Inc., DeepBench, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd., electroCore, LLC, Eli Lilly and Company, eNeura, GLG Pharma, Guidepoint Global, LLC, Magellan Rx Management, Neurolief Ltd., Nordic BioTech, Pfizer, Scion Neurostim, LLC, Slingshot Insights, Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and Zosano Pharma Corporation; Dr. Tepper has contracted research for Alder BioPharmaceuticals, Allergan, Amgen, Autonomic Technologies, Inc., Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Ltd., electroCore, LLC, eNeura, Scion Neurostim, LLC, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and Zosano Pharma Corporation; he has ownership interest in Autonomic Technologies, Inc.
- Faculty: Richard G. Wenzel, PharmD, CPPS, is currently employed by Eli Lilly and Company, all contributions to content and curriculum were completed prior to acceptance of this position.
- Planner (Forefront Collaborative): Lily Zurkovsky, PhD, has disclosed that she has personal stock in Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
The following individuals have indicated that neither they nor their spouses/partners have had, in the past 12 months, financial relationship(s) with commercial interests relative to the content of this continuing education activity:
- Planner (Forefront Collaborative): Katie Detzler
Pharmacist Accreditation Statement—Purdue University College of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. This is a knowledge-based continuing education activity of Purdue University, an equal access/equal opportunity institution.
Universal Activity Number (UAN): 0018-9999-18-039-H01-P, 2.0 contact hours (2.0 CEU).
Credits: 2.0 hours (0.20 CEU)
Type of Activity: Knowledge
Fee Information: There is no fee for this educational activity.
Estimated time to complete activity: 120 minutes
November 1, 2018
November 1, 2019
This accredited activity has been designed for pharmacists.
HOW TO EARN CREDIT
During the period November 1, 2018, through November 1, 2019, participants must 1) read the learning objectives and faculty disclosures; 2) study the educational activity; and 3) complete the posttest and evaluation form directly after the activity. To answer the questions, click on your selected choice for each answer then proceed to the next question. Once completed, click on the Grade Exam button at the bottom of the page. Your posttest will automatically be graded. If you successfully complete the posttest (score of 70% or higher), your statement of participation will be made available immediately. Click on the View Statement of Participation link and print the statement for your records. If you receive a score lower than 70%, you will receive a message notifying you that you did not pass the posttest. You will have two opportunities to pass the posttest. To receive credit, you must provide your date of birth and NABP number. All credit information will be uploaded into CPE monitor within 30 days.
To educate pharmacists on unmet patient needs and emerging therapies in migraine prevention, including current evidence for a role of calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) and its blockade.
Upon completion of this activity, participants should be able to:
- Describe unmet patient needs for migraine prevention.
- Effectively communicate the potential roles of CGRP in migraine pathophysiology.
- Discuss the use of receptor antagonists and monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) to block CGRP activity.
- Describe safety and efficacy data of anti-CGRP mAb compounds.
- Explain the landscape of new and emerging therapies for migraine prevention, including anti-CGRP mAbs.
REQUIRED COMPUTER HARDWARE/SOFTWARE
Please ensure the computer system you plan to use meets the following minimum requirements:
- Operating System: Windows 98 or higher & Macintosh 2.2 or higher
- Internet Browser (Mac &/Windows): Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Google Chrome, Safari 5.0.6 or higher, Firefox 3.0.3 or higher & Opera 5 or higher
- Broadband Internet connection: Cable, High-speed DSL & any other medium that is internet accessible
- Peripherals: Computer speakers or headphones
- Monitor Screen Resolution: 320 x 480 or higher
- Media Viewing Requirements: Adobe Reader, Microsoft PowerPoint, Flash Player & HTML5
The opinions expressed in the educational activity are those of the faculty and do not necessarily represent the views of Purdue University College of Pharmacy, Forefront Collaborative, or the commercial supporter.
Disclosure of Unlabeled Use
This educational activity will include reference to unlabeled or unapproved uses of drugs or devices.
Postgraduate Healthcare Education, LLC (PHE) is the source of Power-Pak C.E.® continuing education for health care
professionals. Our accredited programs assist in meeting the requirements of licensure. PHE provides continuing
education for the broad spectrum of health care professionals. This site features a searchable database of accredited
Power-Pak C.E.® courses on important topics for today's health care professionals.
PHE customizes Power-Pak C.E.® online for each visitor by creating a personal participant profile. Registered participants
may update their contact information, take an exam, receive instant grading, view their exam history, and print certificates
for successfully completed programs at any time. Monthly notifications will be sent to participants notifying you of new
courses available on the site.